• English

Sweden & Ukraine

Medical travel insurance

Visa applicants are required to have medical travel insurance. It must cover any costs that may be incurred in connection with emergency medical aid, urgent hospital treatment or transport to the country of origin for medical reasons or in the event of death.

As of the 1st of July 2004, anyone travelling into the Schengen area on a short stay visa (C-visa up to 90 days, 'Schengen visa') has to have a valid travel medical insurance for the whole duration of the stay.

A “grace period” will be added to the validity period in case of a single entry visa. This means that 15 days will be added to your visa’s validity beyond what is mentioned on your invitation and/or dispatch letter. Please note, that validity period and duration of stay is not the same. An example: if you in your application form applied for a 10 days visa, you will always be given 15 days of grace, in total 25 days. But the effective period of stay will still be as you applied; 10 days.

The insurance is to cover costs totalling at least EUR 30 000 and be valid in all Schengen countries as well as in Liechtenstein and for the whole duration of the stay (number of days) and the validity period of the visa (from – to date). The following criteria are the same for all Schengen Embassies in Kiev:

• The list of well-known TMI companies attached

• The issuing company has to have a re-imbursement agreement with an international insurance company in the Schengen territory. All companies on the above mentioned list have such an agreement

• The TMI and one copy of it has to be submitted together with the application for a visa.

• If an applicant applies for a multiple entry Schengen Visa it is enough to present a valid insurance for the first trip. The applicant should be aware of possesing a TMI for subsequent entries. Persons who do not have a valid TMI may be refused entry at the border.

The applicant is advised to ensure that the fee will be refunded in case the visa application is refused by the Embassy, partly refused (applicant granted less than applied for), or in the case the decision is delayed.

If the applicant is covered by the medical-/company-/family insurance of the inviting party; it is the sole responsibility of the applicant to show that the insurance covers the requirements of the Schengen regulations.

Spouses, children or parents (the two latter being economically dependent on an EEA-citizen, need to be documented) of an EEA-citizen (not Swedish citizens residing in Sweden) are exempted from TMI.

Remember to bring your insurance policy during your travel.

When applying, you must be able to provide proof that you have medical travel insurance. You should also take your insurance certificate with you during the trip since you may need to show it, e.g. at an entry checkpoint.


Certain occupational groups may be exempt from the insurance requirement due to their already being similarly insured in connection with their work.

Others exempted from the medical insurance requirement are those who:

  • Possess a diplomatic passport
  • Apply for an airport transit visa
  • Are relatives of an EU citizen (other than Swedish), i.e. his/her
    – husband or wife – registered partner – common law spouse – children under 21 years of age – older children who are financially dependent on their parents – parents who are finiancially dependent on their children in Sweden.