• English

Sweden & Ukraine

Required documents

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA and wish to move to a family member in Sweden who is not a citizen of the EU/EEA either, you need to provide the documents below.

If you apply online, you attach the documents electronically. However, you have to present the originals of the documents when you visit the Embassy.

If you apply on a paper form, you have to bring all the requisite documents to the Embassy, together with the completed special application form described below.

Document requirements

All documents should be in original and with a copy of each and every document. If the documents are not in Swedish or English, they should be translated into Swedish or English by an authorized translator. The passport does not need to be translated.

Documents required by all applicants

You need:

Married couples

If you are married, you need the following:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)
  • Wedding certificate or marriage certificate
  • A document showing that the marriage has been registered in your country of origin (equivalent to a civic registration certificate in Sweden), where possible
  • A document showing you have lived together (applies to persons who have lived in a country other than Sweden)
  • If you are not married for the first time; a divorce certificate or a court decision regarding marriage dissolution.

Unmarried couples

If you are not married, you need:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)
  • Proof of national identity or other document showing that you are not married
  • Proof of national registration, a rental contract or proof of sale for your joint residence, or other document that shows you have lived together (applies to persons who have lived in a country other than Sweden)
  • Documentation, e.g photos, showing serious intentions regarding the relationship.

Children under 18 years of age

If you have children under the age of 18 accompanying you to Sweden you can apply for a residence permit for them in your online application.

Children under age need:

Other close relatives

Other close relatives are members of your family other than your husband/wife/common law spouse, a minor or the parent of a minor.

If you are in this category, you need:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)
  • A document certifying that you and your relative are dependent on each other and have difficulty living apart, e.g. for social, emotional or financial reasons
  • A document showing how you are related
  • A document showing that you lived together immediately before the relative moved to Sweden.