Sweden & Thailand

Moving to Someone in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with your family or a close relative, you need a residence permit. The Embassy of Sweden in Bangkok is responsible for applications when the applicant is legally residing in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Philippines, Taiwan or Malaysia.

Applying and interview

Apply for residence permit in Sweden online through the Swedish Migration Agency’s website.

Your family member has to fill in a questionnaire. Once you have sent in your application, he or she will automatically receive an e-mail with instructions. The family member must reply to the questions within two weeks.

Contact the Embassy once you have received an e-mail from the Swedish Migration Agency to book a time for interview. You book a time for interview by sending an e-mail to migration.bangkok@gov.se.

In the e-mail, state your personal details and your case number. If you cannot communicte in English, Swedish or Thai, an interpreter has to be present during the interview. Inform the Embassy whilst booking your interview if you need an interpreter and in what language.

Bring your passport and the originals of the documents you attached to your application to the interview.

Applicants residing in Malaysia and Taiwan 

Applicants legally residing in Malaysia and Taiwan will conduct their residence permit interviews at the Embassy of Sweden in Bangkok. Malaysian and Taiwanese citizens do not need visas to travel to Sweden and can travel to Sweden once the residence permit application has been granted. Whilst in Sweden, book a time online at the Swedish Migration Agency's website to leave biometrics for the residence permit card. The card will then be sent to your address in Sweden.

Applicants resdiding in Thailand, Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Laos

Applicants legally residing in Thailand, Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Laos will conduct their residence permit interviews at the Embassy of Sweden in Bangkok.

Interviews with children 

Children applying for residence permit are also interviewed. If the child is too young or unable to conduct an interview, the person looking after the child is interviewed instead.


These are the fees to move to someone in Sweden.

All appointments for interviews for family reunification are made through the Embassy and are free of charge. The Embassy has nothing to do with any individuals who offer these services for payment, and no agencies can influence the waiting time. If you for some reason are unable to apply online, it is possible to give a power of attorney to the person you are moving to. He or she can then submit the application in the e-service for you.

After the interview

After the interview, your case will transferred back to the Swedish Migration Agency that will decide in your case. If you did not attend the interview or did not contact the Embassy to book an appointment in time, your case will be transferred to the Swedish Migration Agency and your application may be rejected.

When the Swedish Migration Agency has decided in your case, you will be informed through the e-mail stated in your application. The actual decision will be sent to your family member in Sweden if you have authorized him or her to represent you. Otherwise, you will be informed of the decision by the Embassy. The Embassy will contact you by sending an e-mail or calling the telephone number you provided when you applied for residence permit.

No decisions will be sent through e-mail.

Collection of residence permit cards by a third party

If you cannot be present at the Embassy to collect your residence permit card, you can authorize a third party to represent you. If you do so, provide an original signed power of attorney appointing someone else to collect the card on your behalf. If the power of attorney is not written in Swedish, English or Thai please provide a translation. A copy of the representative's passport or ID should be attached to the power of attorney to identify the representative on the applicant's behalf.

Information to Thais in Sweden and Thais who are moving to Sweden

ThaiWISE offer an online training course, for free, on the orientation of the new society in Sweden. This project is supported by Malmö Stad and the Swedish Gender Equality Agency. Read more here (only in Thai) Samhällsorienteringen การปฐมนเิทศการเขา้สสู่สังคม

Last updated 04 Aug 2021, 9.28 AM