• English

Sweden & Nigeria

Residence permit studies - required documents

This year most students going to Sweden will go through a mandatory interview and passport check in person at the Embassy.

The Embassy therefore strongly advise all students to apply for a residence permit for studies as early as possible. Please remember that the application must be complete. For more information about the requirements, please refer to Studying and researching in Sweden - Migrationsverket

The Swedish Migration Agency will review all cases and inform applicants when/if the Embassy can be contacted for an appointment. No appointments will be given at the Embassy before the Migration Agency´s review.

If you will be studying at a university or college, you can apply online. In that case, you attach the documents electronically.

If you apply on a paper form, you have to bring all the requisite documents to the embassy, together with the completed application form described below.

All forms can be found on the Swedish Migration Board's website.

Information about D-visas

If you want to contact the embassy regarding a D-visa you have to book an appointment in advance. Also make sure to have your documents ready including letter from your university and flight tickets.

Documents required by all students

You need:

  • If you are not applying online, form no.113011 (Swedish form no. 112011), Application for residence permit for students and doctoral students.
  • Copies of the pages in your passports showing your personal data and the validity of the passport. If you have permission to be in a country other than your country of origin, you must send a copy of these pages as well. NB! Read this information about passport checks
  • Statement of admission or letter of acceptance showing that you have been admitted to a fulltime course of studies.
  • A receipt of payment for your application for a residence permit (if you have not applied online).
  • Proof of financial means, one of the below:
    • A statement of account from your bank confirming that you have money of your own to support yourself with. The statement of account that you attach with the application should be dated at the time of your application and be translated into English, or
    • A document issued in your name showing that you have received a scholarship or a similar means of support (e.g. a student grant) and describing both the monthly sum and the period during which you will receive the money, or
    • A document showing that you have received a training grant (applies to doctoral students) or a studentship, with details of the amount(s) and the period concerned.

Students at university of university college

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)
  • A copy of the document showing that you have comprehensive health insurance valid in Sweden (if you will be studying for less than a year). If you are covered by insurance from the university or university college (institute) concerned, you must send a certificate showing this.

Students at folk high school or an upper secondary school

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)

Other studies

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)

Accompanying family

If your family is accompanying you to Sweden, you can apply on their behalf in your own application.

Family members need:

  • If you are using a paper form, or if the family will be applying at a later date, form no. 135011, Application for co-applicants to students/doctoral students.
  • Copies of the pages in the passport that show your identity, your citizenship and the passport’s period of validity.
  • Documents that confirm your kinship. Documents issued by public authorities in your country of origin are to be submitted together with a translation by an authorised translation agency.
  • A document such as a statement of account from a bank proving that the family member has sufficient means of support (in English).

Exchange students

In the case of exchange students, other rules and documents apply. See the Swedish Migration Board for more information.