• English

Sweden & New Zealand

Visiting Sweden for more than 90 days

If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland (usually referred to as a “non-EU citizen”) who wants to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, you require a residence permit.

Applications for residence permits for Sweden are processed by the Swedish Migration Agency in Sweden. If you are outside of Sweden and want to apply for a residence permit to visit Sweden for more than 90 days (“visitor’s residence permit”), your application should be submitted online through the Swedish Migration Agency’s website, during which you must book an appointment to make an in-person visit at a Swedish Mission abroad to finalise your application.

For citizens/residents of New Zealand, matters concerning residence permits/work permits for Sweden are handled by Sweden’s Mission abroad in Australia, which is the Embassy of Sweden in Canberra.

A residence permit to visit Sweden for more than 90 days can be granted for a period for up to one year, however, in some cases it may be limited to 6 months. A visitor’s residence permit is not suitable if you want to work or settle in Sweden. It is not possible to be granted a visitor’s residence permit, if the duration of the visit in Sweden is deemed to replace your current place of residence.

If you already have a pending application for another type of residence permit or work permit for Sweden, you should not apply for a visitor’s residence permit as it is not possible to be granted two permits at the same time. If two applications are pending at once, you will only receive a decision in the application that the Swedish Migration Agency considers to be most advantageous for you.


Visit Sweden for more than 90 days – apply for a visi­tor’s permit - Migrationsverket

Last updated 20 Feb 2024, 10.58 AM