• English

Sweden & New Zealand

Civil registration in Sweden

The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) manages civil registration of private individuals in Sweden.

If you move to Sweden from abroad and plan to live in Sweden for one year or more, you will usually be required to be listed in the Swedish Population Register. This means that you will be registered as resident in Sweden. When you become registered as resident in Sweden for the first time, the Swedish Tax Agency will give you a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer).

If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, but need to interact with Swedish public authorities or other parts of Swedish society, you may be able to obtain a Swedish coordination number (samordningsnummer). A Swedish coordination number is an identifier for individuals who are not, and have never been, listed in the Swedish Population Register.


Individuals and employees | Skatteverket

Work and employment in Sweden: a guide to taxes and population registration | Skatteverket

Personal identity numbers and coordination numbers | Skatteverket 

Last updated 13 Sep 2023, 2.25 PM