• English

Sweden & New Zealand

Travelling from Sweden with a residence permit

If you are a non-EU citizen who is living in Sweden or staying in Sweden for more than 90 days, with either a permanent or temporary residence permit, you can travel from Sweden and return as long as your residence permit for Sweden is still valid.

If you travel from Sweden and plan to return during the time your residence permit for Sweden is valid, you must carry your valid residence permit card with you together with your valid passport. 

During the time your residence permit for Sweden is valid, you can visit other Schengen States (countries in the Schengen Area) visa-free for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. 

If you have a permanent residence permit for Sweden, you may be absent from Sweden for up to one year and keep your permanent residence permit. A permanent residence permit for Sweden does not have an expiry date, however, if you are away from Sweden for longer than one year, or if you are planning to take up residence in a country other than Sweden, the Swedish Migration Agency may decide to revoke your permanent residence permit for Sweden.


Travel­ling from Sweden with a perma­nent or tempo­rary resi­dence permit - Migrationsverket


Last updated 02 Aug 2023, 10.20 AM