• English

Sweden & Lebanon

Family members of EU/EEA citizens

As a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their right of free movement in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC you have the right to travel to Sweden together with your family member or join them in Sweden to settle there. PLEASE NOTE that Swedish citizens living in Sweden are NOT exercising EU treaty rights and they do therefore NOT hold a right of residence based on Directive 2004/38/EC in their home country, unless they have recently moved back to Sweden from another EU/EEA country.

 Family members are:

  • Spouse/partner/common law spouse

  • The direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 or are dependents, and those of the spouse or partner.

  • The dependent direct relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents) and those of the spouse or partner.

  •  Another family member who is dependent on you for their subsistence or is part of your or your partner’s household or if you are required personally to take care of the family member for serious health reasons.

In the event that you wish to remain in Sweden for more than 90 days as a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their free movement rights, you must apply (when in Sweden) for a Residence Card of a family member of a EU/EEA citizen. Information about how to apply is available on the Swedish Migration Agency webpage (link).

All family members of an EU or EEA national applying for a visa must at submit the following obligatory supporting documents:

  • Application Form for Schengen Visa (118031 or 119031), completed except the fields marked as " * ", fields 34 and 35 has been fully filled, signed and dated.

  • A passport or some other valid travel document. (Contain at least two empty pages/ have been issued during the past ten years/ must be valid at least 3 months after the departure)

  • Two (2) photographs in passport format, taken straight from the front and not older than six months.

  • Proof of the existence of family relations. The documents should not be older than three (3) months.

  • Copy of the EU / EEA national's passport or national identity card

  • If you are a dependent family member you must submit documents showing your dependence.

  • If your family member is settled in Sweden you must provide their “Personbevis” from the tax office.

  • If your family member is not settled in Sweden you will be asked to provide documents showing that the EU/EEA citizen has a concrete plan to settle in Sweden.

  • For non-lebanese citizen, a copy of the lebanese residence permit must be submitted. This requirement does not apply for Syrian citizen.

  • You must also provide documents showing your family member fulfil the criteria for having a right to residence in Sweden in accordance with the regulations in Directive 2004/38/EC. These documents could, depending on the situation, be a work contract and pay slips, a study certificate or documents showing your family member has sufficient income or bank assets to support themselves.

Please note that a family member of an EU or EEA citizen does NOT pay an application fee for Schengen visa.

More information

Directive 2004/38/EC 


Swedish Migration Agency on EES family members


Last updated 12 Nov 2018, 12.06 PM