• English

Sweden & Germany

Visiting Sweden with or without a visa

If you are visiting Sweden and are a citizen of a non-EU country, you may need a visa. A visa is a permit to travel to and stay in a country for a maximum of 90 days. If you intend to stay in Sweden for longer than 90 days, you will need a visitors’ residence permit.

Citizens from the following countries/territories require a visa when entering Sweden, check the list. Information on how to apply for a visa is found on Swedish Migration Agency.

Bilateral visa agreements with some Non-European countries

According to the Swedish National Police Agency (circular letter CM 9/08, 2008-08-25), Sweden has bilateral visa agreements with some Non-European countries, that have been agreed upon before the 1st of September 1993, and that are still valid in addition to the Schengen agreements. Members of these countries can enter the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) and stay as tourists for 90 days irrespective of their previous stay in another Schengen country. However, a stay in one of the Nordic countries within the last 6 months, will be counted and subtracted from the period.

List of countries with such visa-free agreements are:

United States of America, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, New Zeeland, Panama, Paraguay, Singapore, South Korea, Uruguay, Venezuela

Last updated 13 Nov 2023, 11.06 AM