Sweden & Estonia

Visiting Sweden

In connection with Estonia's entrance into Schengen on 21st December 2007 border control of travel documents has ceased when travelling on land and sea between Estonia and Sweden (as well as other Schengen countries).

Third country citizens (not EU-citizens) with a valid residence permit in Estonia do not need visa to visit Sweden and may remain there up to 90 days for every six month period, provided the residence permit is valid throughout this time. For longer stays, a residence permit is necessary as before.

Travel documents are no longer checked at border crossings within Schengen. However, it is necessary to carry a travel document (passport or national ID-card) to prove citizenship upon request (driver's license, bank ID-card etc are not valid for this). Third country citizens must also have proof of a valid residence permit of the Schengen country where they reside.

EU-citizens do not need work permit within Schengen. The general rule is that other nationalities should apply for that before entering the country where work is available.

For further information please visit the website of the Swedish Migration Board.