• English

Sweden & Australia

Obtain residence permit card in Sweden if you are visa-exempt

If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland (usually referred to as a “non-EU citizen”) who is outside of Sweden and have been granted a residence permit for Sweden, and you are exempt from the short-stay visa requirement in the Schengen Area, providing that you have not already exhausted your visa-free days in the Schengen Area, you can travel to Sweden and obtain your residence permit card in Sweden through the Swedish Migration Agency.

If you intend to obtain your residence permit card in Sweden, before travelling you should obtain a copy of the Swedish Migration Agency’s decision document to carry with you in support of your granted residence permit for Sweden. The Swedish Migration Agency’s Information sheet on residence permit cards can also be brought along for reference together with the decision document.

To obtain your residence permit card in Sweden, you must visit one of the Swedish Migration Agency’s available locations throughout Sweden to have your fingerprints and photograph taken. You should obtain your residence permit card as soon as possible after arrival in Sweden.

If a Swedish Mission abroad was nominated when your application was submitted, the Swedish Mission abroad is the pre-selected delivery location for your residence permit card. If your fingerprints and photograph are taken in Sweden after your application has been granted, it is at the time of the appointment possible to change the delivery location for the residence permit card. If you provide a Swedish delivery address to the Swedish Migration Agency, the Swedish Mission abroad can be bypassed, and you can instead receive the residence permit card within Sweden.


Book, change or cancel appoint­ments for visits - Migrationsverket

Last updated 20 Sep 2023, 1.35 PM