• English

Travel to USA

Spouses, Cohabitants and Children of Primary Applicants

This applies to spouses/cohabitants and unmarried children (under 18) of employees, researchers, athletes, au pairs or self-employed persons are eligible to co-apply for residence permits. This application must be submitted together with the primary application which then can be submitted online. All foreign nationals – including U.S. citizens – who plan to move to Sweden or stay in Sweden for more than 90 days need to obtain a residence permit before entering the country.

This application needs to be submitted in person or by mail to the Embassy in Washington.

Please submit the following documents:

  • Application by Co-Applicant (form#133011), completed, signed and dated, including detailed contact information.
  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.
  • Notarized copy of U.S. Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R), if applicable.
  • Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to Embassy of Sweden. 

How much does it cost?

Application fees can be found in the list of service fees.

As soon as all the documents have been received your case will be forwarded to the Swedish Migration Agency.

For processing time, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency´s website.

If you are granted a residence permit and you are a U.S Citizen you are able to submit the biometric data for the residence permit card in Sweden.

If you require a visa in order to travel to Sweden, you will have to submit the biometric data at the Embassy and receive your residence permit card before entering Sweden.

Last updated 29 Sep 2023, 9.14 AM