• English

Sweden & Zambia

Family member of EU/EEA Citizen

Information for EU/EEA family members applying for a visa to enter the Schengen area.

Please note: only applicable to family members of EU/EEA citizens exercising their right to free movement (Directive 2004/38/EG).

As a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their right of free movement in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC you have the right to travel to the EU/EEA-area together with your family member or join to them in the area to settle there.

Family members are:

  • Spouse/partner/common law spouse
  • The direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 or are dependents, and those of the spouse or partner.
  • The dependent direct relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents) and those of the spouse or partner

Basic facts

You can apply for a short-stay Schengen visa (type C) which will permit you to enter and stay in Sweden and the Schengen area for up to 90 days.

In the event that you wish to remain in the State for more than 90 days as a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their free movement rights, you must apply (when in the Member State) for a Residence Card of a family member of a EU/EEA citizen. Information about how to apply is available on the Swedish Migration Agency webpage.

If there are any doubts about exercising the right of free movement, family relation, marriage, et cetera, and the Embassy therefore finds that you have not showed that Directive 2004/38 is applicable, the Embassy will process your application according to the Visa Code.

How to apply for an entry visa

Book an appointment

As a family member of an EU/EEA- citizen you should contact the Embassy directly on ambassaden.lusaka-visum@gov.se in order to receive an appointment. In the email please include the following details:

  • Intended travel dates
  • Citizenship
  • Type of passport and its validity date
  • Validity dates of valid Schengen visa (if any) to avoid an overlap with your current application.
  • Telephone number

Please give at least 24 hours’ notice of cancellation of an appointment.

Visit the embassy

All family members of an EU or EEA national applying for a visa must submit the following obligatory documents during the appointment at the Embassy:

  • Application form (application form no. 119031, Application for Schengen Visa).
  • Your passport or travel document. Make sure that your passport has at least two blank pages.
  • Proof of relation. E.g.marriage certificate or birth certificate.
  • Copy of the EU/EEA national's passport or national identity card
  • If you are a dependent family member you must submit documents showing your dependence.

Additional documents

In addition to the documents listed above there might be, depending on the EU/ EEA citizen's circumstances, additional documents required showing your family member's situation.

  • If your family member is residing in one of the Member States represented by the Embassy you must provide documentation stating that your spouse is currently residing in one of the Member States.
  • If your family member is not residing in any of the Member States represented by the Embassy you may be asked to provide additional documents, e.g. flight tickets, or a brief travel plan, showing that you and your family member intend to travel together or meet there.

The Embassy strongly recommends that you always travel with valid travel insurance.

More information

Directive 2004/38/EC

Swedish Migration Agency on EES family members

Last updated 30 May 2018, 4.31 PM