Apply for a Schengen Visa
It is recommended to apply for a visa through VFS Global, Swedish Visa Application Centre
It is possible to apply directly at the Swedish Embassy in London. However, the waiting time for visa appointments at the Embassy can be a couple of weeks or more.
To apply for a visa the applicant must reside in UK and have a valid passport and UK residence Permit. Exceptions can be made if an applicant with a UK C-visa wants to travel to Sweden due to exceptional circumstances, such as, serious illness or death of a family member in Sweden.
How to apply for a Schengen visa and residence permits for visiting, at the Embassy in London:
- Prepare the required documents, find available visas and their requirements at the Swedish Migration Agency's website
- Book an appointment, request a date and time by sending an email to the Visa Section. The email must also include a copy of the applicant's passport and valid UK Residence Permit. Find the Visa Section's opening hours and email address here
Holders of diplomatic or service passports may submit an application without prior appointment.
- To avoid the risk of a visa refusal it is strongly recommended to produce all the required documents on the day of the application. The applicants may be required to answer additional questions. Each application must be done in person.
- The visa fee must be paid on the day of the application, read more about fees at the Swedish Migration Agency's website. All fees at the Embassy are paid in British pounds, preferably by card payment (American Express is not accepted).
- The processing time of a visa application is minimum 9 days but can take longer.
Following British passport holders do not need a visa:
- British 'European Community' passport
- British ' Isle of Man', 'Jersey' and 'Guernsey and its dependencies' passport
- British Subject passport
- British Overseas Territories citizen (BOTC) passport
- British National Overseas (BNO) passport
- British Overseas Citizens (BOC) passport
- British Protected Persons (BPP) passport
All British travel documents need a Schengen Visa.
Family members of British nationals must follow the nationals rules and require a visa.