• English

Sweden & United Kingdom

UK citizen travelling to Sweden

Please note: if you hold a UK Certificate of Travel, you will need a Schengen visa to travel to Sweden.

Travel to Sweden from 1 January 2021

From 1 January 2021, British citizens will be able to travel to Sweden and other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism. This is a rolling 180-day period. You will find more information here.

Travel documents from 1 January 2021

UK citizens and their family members will need a passport for entering and exiting Sweden. The travel document can not be older than 10 years and it needs to be valid for at least three months after the planned exit from the Schengen territory.

Exemptions will be made for UK citizens holding residence status or who can document that they have applied for residence status. These categories can enter using a national ID card or passport.

Family members of UK citizens who are third country nationals holding residence status, needs a passport and residence status or evidence of application for residence status.

Please see the Swedish Border Police website for more information via this link.

Please note: if you hold a UK Certificate of Travel, you will need a Schengen visa to travel to Sweden.

If you’re planning a stay of longer than 3 months, see British gov's Living in Sweden guide and contact us if you have further questions.

Link to Swedish Migration Agency
Link to British Government 

Last updated 03 Jan 2021, 5.17 PM