Sweden & Ukraine

Residence Permit for Studies in Sweden

If you are planning to study in Sweden for a period longer than three months, you have to have a residence permit. You submit your application at the Visa section of the Swedish Embassy and then it will be sent to the Swedish Migration Agency for a decision. For a stay less than three months, no residence permit is required. However, you must have a visa in order to enter Sweden.

All information needed in order to apply for a residence permit for studies for students and accompanying persons can be found on the Migration Agency website.

The current application fees can be found here. Ukrainian citizens pay the fee in hryvnia, Georgian citizens pay it in USD.

Online application – visiting students

Online application for residence permit for visiting students.

With the online application forms you can

  • apply for a residence permit for studies at a university or a college of higher education (citizens of countries whose citizens do not need entry visas for travel to Sweden)
  • apply for an extension of a residence permit for studies (all countries)
  • register your right of residence on grounds of studies (EU/EEA citizens)

In most cases accompanying family members can apply on the same time as you.

Citizens of Switzerland and citizens of countries outside EU/EEA with long-term resident status in another EU country cannot use the electronic form service yet.

To the electronic application service for residence permit for visiting students

Book a personal appointment

When you fill out and submit your application you can – at some Swedish missions – book a personal appointment for your visit. When the possibility exists you will find more information under the heading ‘Book a personal appointment’.

Basic information about: Studying in Sweden

Read more