About Sweden

Visiting relatives and friends

If you apply for a visa to visit relatives and friends, you need the documents listed below.


  • A completed and signed application form no. 119031, Application for Schengen Visa.

  • An original bank receipt confirming payment of the application fee.

  • A passport or some other valid travel document. (This must be valid for at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area / contain at least two empty pages/ copy of all pages with stamp and visas need to be attached to the application / have been issued during the past ten years)

  • Two (2) photographs in passport format, taken straight from the front and not older than six months.

  • Individual travel and health insurance covering the cost of emergency treatment and transport home for medical reasons.

    The insurance is to cover costs totalling at least EUR 30 000 and be valid in all Schengen countries and throughout your stay.

    Read more under ‘Travel and health insurance’

  • Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay submitted in the form of 3 months bank statement.  

  • Proof of the existence of family relations (Tam Tekmil Vukuatlı Nüfus Kayıt Örneği) showing civil status, parents, siblings, spouse and children. The documents should not be older than three (3) months.

The following documents shall be presented by either of the categories

(a) If the applicant is employed:

  • letter from employer confirming leave from work.
  • SGK (social security) registration document and SGK "hizmet dökümü" with barcode
  • salary slips for the last 3 months

(b) If the applicant is a farmer:

  • farmer certificate issued by chamber of agriculture

(c) If applicant is employed by or owner of a private company:

  • company registration in chamber of commerce (not older than one year) and copy of the bulletin of the trade register.
  • statement of taxes payment.

(d) If the applicant is retired:

  • proof of pension (either bank account statement or pensioner booklet)

(e) If the applicant is a student:

  • student certificate (Öğrenci Belgesi)

(f) If the applicant is a minor or under age 18 and travelling alone or with one parent or legal guardian only:

  • public notary approved statement from his/her parents taken within the last week (this condition shall not apply if the travelling parent is a single parent or holds the parental authority alone).

(g) If the applicant is a non-Turkish citizen:

  • Copy of residence permit in Turkey.

(h) If the applicant is an Iraqi citizen:

  • Iraqi citizens must submit their National ID-card and Citizenship certificate in original + copy along with its translation.

Documents concerning the relative or friend in Sweden

You must also attach documents concerning the relative or friend you plan to visit in Sweden.

You must have:

  • Invitation, completed in Swedish or English, signed and dated. The invitation should contain information about the date and the duration of the visit.
  • Proof of financial status if he/she is paying for the visit expenses.
  • Population registration certificate (personbevis). This can be requisitioned from the nearest local tax office or from the website and should not be older than three (3) months.
  • Copy of his/her passport (or other id document).
  • If the person in Sweden is ill or pregnant , the Embassy would like a medical certificate from the doctor or midwife.