Visiting relatives and friends – extra documents
If you apply for a visa to visit relatives and friends, you need the documents listed below.
When you visit the Embassy of Sweden in Dar es Salaam you need to submit the online or paper application form which has to be signed by you.
The forms must be completed either in Swedish or in English.
Documents issued by the authorities in your country of origin in any language other than English or Swedish must be submitted together with a translation.
Remaining documents can be scanned, faxed or copies. However, when presenting yourself at the Embassy, you must be able to show all national/local documents from your country of origin in original. You must also be able to present any of the documents originating from Sweden or Iceland in original when asked to do so by the Embassy.
You must have:
- The documents required by all visa applicants. Read more under ‘Required documents’.
- Enough money to support yourself during your stay. In general, Sweden requires you to have SEK 450 per day/person. The required amount may be less if for instance you have paid for board and lodging in advance or live with friends or relatives. The Embassy requires proof that you can support yourself, e.g. in the form of a bank statment and salary slips for the past three months. If the host inviting you to Sweden will be covering your up-keep you must show in the same way that they have sufficient funds for the duration of your stay.
- If employed, original and signed letter from your current employer on official company paper with contact information, stating your occupation in Tanzania, the continuing employment after granted period of leave and duration of stay in Sweden or Iceland stating both arrival and departure dates.
- If student, copies of your student card and official document confirming student status from your educational institution. Originals to be shown upon presentation at the Embassy.
- If self-employed business owner, copies of your certificate of business license and tax registration from TRA. Originals to be shown upon presentation at the Embassy.
- If retired or unemployed, copies of any other proof of regular income or property ownership. Originals to be shown upon presentation at the Embassy.
- Copy of birth and marriage certificate where applicable to show kinship with the host. Originals to be shown upon presentation at the Embassy.
- Form no. 241011: Invitation – If you wish to invite a relative or friend to visit you. You must submit the original form and it must be completed and signed by the host in Sweden wishing to invite you.
- A personal invitation letter from the host stating the purpose of the trip, the relationship to the applicant, the dates and whoever is responsible for the costs involved.
- Identification of the host in Sweden or Iceland.
- Civic registration/family certificate (personbevis) for the host in Sweden, not older than three months. Such a document for the purpose of an invitation must be ordered from the Swedish Tax Agency. Equivalent documentation providing proof of legal status in Iceland is equally required.