Required documents and Biometrics
If your visa application is to be considered, you must have the documents listed below. A number of additional documents are also required, depending on what type of visit you are planning.
When you apply for a visa at VFS Global, The Swedish Visa Appication Center or the Embassy, you will be required to submit fingerprints and have your photograph taken. The following categories are exempted from the requirement to submit fingerprints:
- Children under the age of 12
- Persons for whom fingerprinting is physically impossible
- Heads of State or government and members of a national government with accompanying spouses, and the members of their official delegation when they are invited by Member States’ governments or by international organisations for an official purpose
- Sovereigns and other senior members of a royal family, when they are invited by Member States’ governments or by international organisations for an official purpose.
- Persons who have submitted their fingerprints for the purpose of a Schengen visa application during the last 59 months
Check which additional documents you need in the menu below under the heading for the type of visit you wish to make.
The forms must be completed in either Swedish or English before your appointment.
You must have:
- A completed and signed application form no. 119031, Application for Schengen Visa.
- A receipt confirming payment of the application fee, if you choose to pay in advance. You can also pay with bank card when submitting your application.
- A passport or some other valid travel document. The passport must be valid for at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area, contain at least two empty pages, have been issued during the past ten years.
- Please be advised that the South African temporary passport and the South African Document for Travel Purposes are not accepted as travel document when applying for a visa to go to Sweden.
- Copies of previous Schengen stickers for the last five years.
- Medical travel insurance, stating that the insurance is to cover medical costs of at least EUR 30,000 and be valid for the whole duration of stay and in all Schengen states. Read more under ‘Medical travel insurance’
- Pre booked flight ticket specifying entry and exit dates from the Schengen state.
- Enough money to support yourself during your stay. In general, Sweden requires you to have SEK 450 per day/person. The required amount may be less if for instance you have paid for board and lodging in advance or live with friends or relatives. The embassy requires proof that you can support yourself, e.g. in the form of bank statement for the last three months.
- If the person who is inviting you to Sweden will be paying for your support, you must show in the same way that he/she has enough money to do so.
- A letter from your employer stating continuing employment after period of leave and duration of vacation.
- For students, a letter from the university or school.
- Non South African citizens must show valid South African resident permit in original. If the resident permit is not affiaffixed in the current passport, the old passport with permit must be submitted in original. If the permit is not affixed in the passport a certified copy of the resident permit must be submitted.
- Documents that are specifically associated with the type of visit you are planning. Check under the relevant heading in the menu on the left.
- Permanent residence holders must submit a certified copy of their South African ID.