• English

Sweden & South Africa


You pay a fee for your residence permit application. The money is not refunded if your application is rejected.

The fees for residence permits for studies and fees for family members are available by clicking on the following link: consular and migration fees


If you are applying online, you pay with a credit card or a bank card.

If you are applying on a paper form you can pay by credit or bank card at the Embassy. You can also pay the fee into the Embassy of Sweden's bank account in advance. You should bring the proof of payment when you apply.


Some people are not required to pay for their applications, including the following:

  • Students on scholarships from Sida or another Swedish organisation or international organisation, such as the EU or UNICEF

More about fees and exemptions on the Swedish Migration Board website

Study fees

You may also be required to pay a fee for your studies. This is decided by each respective university or university college. Contact the school concerned for information.