• English

Sweden & North Macedonia

Required documents

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA and wish to move to a family member in Sweden, you need the documents below.

If you apply online, you attach the documents electronically. However, you have to be able to present the originals of the documents when you visit the embassy.

If you apply on a paper form, you have to bring all the required documents to the embassy, together with the completed application form described below. 

For the most up to date information about the rules for residence permits in Sweden, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency's web page

Document requirements

The following are general requirements regarding the documents you are bringing to the Embassy:

  • the documents must be in original
  • if you applied at the Embassy, you should also bring copies
  • local documents should be translated to English or Swedish

 Documents required by all applicants

 You need:

  • A valid passport
  • Copy of your passport including copies of the pages with personal data and stamps from previous Schengen visits
  • Local birth certificate (the national birth certificate for citizens of North Macedonia should be translated to English)
  • If you are not applying online, you need the form Application for residence permit to settle in Sweden, form no. 161011, and the form Family details, no. 239011. See heading below for information about children.
  • If your relative in Sweden is subject to the maintenance requirement you need to hand in documents showing that the person in Sweden can support you and that he/she has a home of sufficient standard for you both and any additional applicants (children).
  • When you hand in your application you will be required to pay an application fee, for more information about current fees, please click here. 

For more information about the maintenance requirement please visit the Swedish Migration Agency's web site.

Married couples

If you are married, you need the following:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)
  • Marriage certificate
  • A document showing that the marriage has been registered in your country of origin (equivalent to a civic registration certificate in Sweden)

Unmarried couples

If you are not married, you need:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)
  • Proof of national identity or other document showing that you are not married

Minor children

If your minor children will be accompanying you to Sweden, you can apply for a residence permit for them in your online application.

For minor children their guardian need to submit:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above).
  • If you are not applying online or if the child is applying alone, form no. 163011, Application for a residence permit for a child under the age of 18 to settle in Sweden, and form no. 239011, Family details.
  • Birth certificate of the child.
  • If one of the guardians of the child is not moving with the child to Sweden, a written and signed consent from that guardian needs to be presented. The consent need to specify that the guardian agrees for the child to travel/move to Sweden. If the child has only one guardian, proof of this needs to be submitted, for example divorce settlement from the court. 
  • If relevant, document from local social authorities or custodians about who has temporary custody of the child/children in the home country.

Other close relatives

Other close relatives are members of your family other than your husband/wife/common law spouse, a minor or the parent of a minor.

If you are in this category, you need:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above)
  • A document certifying that you and your relative are dependent on each other and have difficulty living apart, e.g. for social, emotional or financial reasons
  • A document showing how you are related
  • Documentation showing that you lived together immediately before the relative moved to Sweden
Last updated 27 Sep 2023, 9.03 AM