• English

Sweden & Kenya

Visas for family members to EU/EEA citizens

As a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their right of free movement in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC you have the right to travel to the EU/EEA-area together with your family member or join to them in the area to settle there. PLEASE NOTE that Swedish citizen living in Sweden are NOT exercising EU treaty rights and they do therefore NOT hold a right of residence based on Directive 2004/38/EC in their home country, unless they have recently moved back to Sweden from another EU/EEA country.

You can apply for a short-stay Schengen visa (type C) valid for up to 90 days, which will allow you to enter and stay in Sweden and in the Schengen area.

In the event that you wish to remain in the State for more than 90 days as a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their free movement rights, you must apply (when in the Member State) for a Residence Card of a family member of a EU/EEA citizen. Information about how to apply is available on the Swedish Migration Agency webpage.

Family members are:

  • Spouse/partner/common law spouse
  • The direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 or are dependents, and those of the spouse or partner.
  • The dependent direct relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents) and those of the spouse or partner

All family members of an EU or EEA national applying for a visa must submit the following mandatory supporting documents at the appointment at the Embassy:

  • Application form ( Application for Schengen Visa).
  • Your passport or travel document. Make sure that your passport has at least two blank pages.
  • Proof of relation. E.g.marriage certificate or birth certificate.
  • Copy of the EU / EEA national's passport or national identity card
  • If you are a dependent family member you must submit documents showing your dependence.

Please note that a family member of an EU or EEA citizen who falls under the scope of the Directive 2004/38/EC should not pay an application fee for Schengen visa. If you apply at one of the VFS Global´s application center you have to pay the center´s service fee. Please see the different service fees under the pages for each country. 

Additional documents

In addition to the documents listed above, depending on the EU/ EEA-citizen's circumstances, further documents may be required to prove that you fall under the scope of Directive 2004/38/EC. The Embassy strongly recommends that you always travel with a valid travel insurance.

How to apply

You may apply at our external service provider VFS Global , in your country of residence. You are also allowed to apply directly at the Embassy in Nairobi, if you are residing in Kenya, Zambia, Tanzania or South Africa (physical appearance required), after receiving an appointment where you will be given priority. Please note that you cannot apply for Schengen visa at the Embassies in the mentioned locations.

Last updated 22 Apr 2022, 4.16 PM