• English

Sweden & Japan

Visit for longer than 90 days – documents

If you wish to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for residence permit for a visit or, if you have special grounds, for a ‘D-visa’ (national visa).

Read more about residence permit for a visit and D-visas under ‘Basic facts’ in the menu on the left.

Applying for a residence permit for a visit

You need:

  • The form Application for a visitor’s permit.
  • The form Family details – appendix to your application.
  • A passport or some other valid travel document. This must: - be valid for at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area - contain at least two empty pages - have been issued during the past ten years.
  • A copy of the first page in your passport, and of any extensions and/or name changes in the passport.
  • A copy of your ticket for the return journey.
  • And – if you are under 18 or are accompanied by children – the form Application for a visitor’s permit for a child. Note that additional documents are required for applicants under the age of 18. Check under ‘Minors – extra documents’.

The person you will be visiting in Sweden needs the following documents:

  • The form Invitation – If you wish to invite a relative or friend to visit you, in the original.
  • Civic registration/family certificate (personbevis) for the purpose of the invitation.
  • Documents showing that the visitor has adequate means of support during his/her stay in Sweden.

Application for a D-visa

You need:

All applications for residence permit or D-visa need the following documentation:

  • proof of kinship with the referent is Sweden (if applicable), original must be presented
  • two copies of marriage/divorce certificate (if applicable), original must be presented
  • proof of support during your stay in Sweden. If the referent will pay for your upkeep, this should be noted in the invitation and supported by proof of income.

*The referent in Sweden must send the invitation and/or other documents directly to the applicant who will submit them together with the application when visiting the Embassy.
* *The Embassy reserves the right to ask for further documentation if needed.