• English

Sweden & Japan

Required documents

If your visa application is to be considered, you must have the documents listed below. A number of other documents are also required, depending on what type of visit you are planning.

Check which additional documents you need in the menu on the link: Application for Schengen Visa, form no. 119031, under the heading for the type of visit you wish to make.

Print "DOCUMENT CHECKLIST" on the right and use it to make sure all the reqired documents are ready before lodging your application.

The forms must be completed either in Swedish or in English. Documents issued by the authorities in your country of origin are to be submitted together with a translation in Swedish or English.

You must have:

  • A completed and signed application form no. 119031, Application for Schengen Visa (if you have not applied online)
  • Cash for the application fee (if you have not applied online)
  • A passport or some other valid travel document. This must: - be valid for at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area - contain at least one blank sheet on both sides for visas - have been issued during the past ten years.
  • Residence card (alien registration card) or re-entry permit. Your Japanese residence permit should be valid for at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area. If you have a Japanese landing permit as a temporary visitor only, you will normally not be entitled to apply to the embassy in Tokyo. 
  • Medical travel insurance covering the cost of emergency treatment and transport home for medical reasons. Read more under ‘Medical travel insurance’
  • Financial proof to show enough money to support yourself during your stay. In general, Sweden requires you to have SEK 450 per day/person. The required amount may be less if for instance you have paid for board and lodging in advance or live with friends or relatives. The embassy requires proof that you can support yourself, e.g. your bankbook, which shows the latest balance or the latest bank statement of your bank account.If the person who is inviting you to Sweden will be paying for your support, you must show in the same way that he/she has enough money to do so. If your employer pays the cost of your business trip, a guarantee letter from the employer will be the proof.
  • Flight booking confirmation. (You don't have to purchase a flgiht ticket)
  • A self-addressed "Letter-pack Plus" mailer if you want to have your passport returned by post. The "Letter-pack Plus" is available in any post offices. Please note that the Embassy does not bear responsibility for any delay or losses caused by the postal service or any other courier services.
  • Documents that are specifically associated with the type of visit you are planning. Check under the relevant heading in the menu on the left.

If you are under 18 or are accompanied by children – additional documents as described under ‘Minors’ in the menu on the left.