• English

Sweden & Germany

Basic Facts

In general, to acquire a residence permit to study in Sweden, you must have been admitted to a fulltime course of study, you must have the means to support yourself and you must have a passport. You must arrange for your residence permit before leaving for Sweden.

The rules vary, depending on what kind of studies you wish to pursue. For a description of the rules, read more on the Swedish Migration Agency website:
Swedish Migration Agency

The university or college may require a fee for the studies, of which a part must be paid in advance. Contact the university or college concerned for further information.

All the most important information on higher education in Sweden can be found on the Studyinsweden website:
Study in Sweden

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. The card proves that you have a residence permit. Read more under "How to apply" to find out how you arrange for the card.

You may find more information about the residence permit card on the Swedish Migration Agency website:
Swedish Migration Agency

Family members

A family member (e.g. husband/wife and unmarried children under 18) may be granted a residence permit for the same period as the student, on condition that they meet the requirements specified. Family members who are granted a residence permit need a residence permit card (see above).

Read more about residence permits for family members on the Swedish Migration Agency website:
Swedish Migration Agency

Last updated 28 Dec 2017, 4.52 PM