• English

Sweden & Germany

Study in Sweden - Non EU/EEA citizens

If you will be studying in Sweden for more than three months and you are a Non-EU/EEA citizen, you need a residence permit.

In general, to acquire a residence permit to study in Sweden, you must have been admitted to a fulltime course of study and you must have the means to support yourself. You must arrange for your residence permit before leaving for Sweden.

If you, for some reason, need to visit an embassy, you can choose between the embassies in Athens, Berlin, Madrid, Paris or Rome within the Schengen area. You specify your choice in the online application.

The quickest and easiest way of applying for a residence permit to study at universities and colleges in Sweden is to apply online.

If you cannot apply online, you can send the application and required documents to the Swedish embassy in Berlin instead. You may find the embassy address under "Contact" in the menu on the left.

Rules and required documents 

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you apply, look in the menu on the left.

If you are interested in studying at university/college level in Sweden, you can find a full range of information on the Studyinsweden website:

Study in Sweden

The Swedish Migration Agency

Last updated 28 Dec 2017, 4.43 PM