• English

Sweden & Canada

Working Holiday Visa Program

Have you dreamed of spending a year living and working in Sweden? Sweden has an agreement with Canada that lets you do just that. The program is aimed at Canadian citizens between 18 and 30 years old.

A fixed number of persons per calendar year can obtain a work and residence permit for a maximum of 12 months. 

The permit is not renewable, but you can apply for it twice (as long as you apply in a different category). You should not enter Sweden until your application has been approved.

Please read the Agreement carefully, and make sure that you fit into one of the categories on page 4. If you do not fit into one of the categories, your application may be denied.

The proof of insurance that you submit with your application must cover your entire stay in Sweden, from the date of arrival to the date of departure.
Your bank statement should show at least CAD 3,000 in available funds, or CAD 2,300 if you also submit a return flight ticket.

An application for a work and residence permit is best filed online though the Swedish Migration Agency's website. Alternatively you can file an application in person, either at the Embassy in Ottawa or at the nearest consulate, but please be aware that the processing time is longer if you file in person.

For information about the application process and the required documents, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency's information on the Working Holiday visa program.

Biometric information

The work-and residence permit will be in the form of a residence permit card. The card will include biometric information (photo, fingerprints and electronic signature). Canadian citizens should submit the biometrics at one of the Migration Agency Offices after arrival in Sweden.
Processing time

Normal processing time is up to three months. Please note that you should not enter Sweden until your application has been approved.
Application fee

The application fee is payable at the time of application and is non-refundable. The fee is SEK 1,000 if you apply online.


Last updated 21 Mar 2018, 2.24 PM