• English

Sweden & Canada

Checklist for students

  • Completed application form "Application for residence permit for student and doctoral students", see Swedish Migration Agency.
  • Valid passport (the passport must be valid for the entire planned stay in Sweden).
  • Acceptance letter from the educational institution where you will be studying while in Sweden, indicating what program you are participating in and the dates.
  • Proof that you have sufficient funds for the ENTIRE study period in Sweden. At present SEK 7.300/month (approx CAD 1100). The proof can be in the form of - a bank statement/letter confirming that you have funds of your own to support you (a dollar figure must be included in this statement/letter), - a scholarship/study grant or similar (exact dollar figure must be included).
  • Proof of medical insurance. This applies to students at university/college level who are going to study in Sweden for LESS than 12 months. The insurance must be comprehensive (not only emergency) and cover any medical care you may require while in Sweden (24 hours) and include hospital stay, repatriation to Canada if deemed necessary for medical reasons. There should be no deductible on the insurance.
    Check with the university in Sweden if they have medical insurance for their foreign students that is valid 24 hours a day. If the university has this, please attach a document indicating this when you file your application.
  • If you are a Rotary, AFS student and you are under the age of 18 a permission letter from your parents that you can attend school in Sweden.
  • If you are going to study in Sweden at one of the bible/missionary schools (Torchbearer or Word of Life) you must provide proof  that the deposit has been paid AND - proof that you have the equivalent of SEK 7.300 per month for the entire study period in Sweden (funding MUST be in your name) or - proof that you have paid the entire school fee and have the equivalent of SEK 4.300 per month for the entire study period in Sweden  (funding MUST be in your name).

Don't forget to indicate on the application form the dates you will be in Sweden.