About abroad United Kingdom

Passport for children under 18

Book your appointment online. We release new appointments for the weeks to come, every Friday, 9am to 5pm, from the 12th June.

You can apply for/renew a passport or ID card at the Embassy of Sweden in London, in another Swedish Embassy or at the Police in Sweden. If you apply for a passport in another country you can still collect it from the Embassy in London.

It is often a faster och cheaper process to apply for a passport in Sweden, more info about this on the Swedish Police's webbsite. 

Proving your Swedish citizenship

You are abliged to prove your Swedish citizenship every time you apply for or renew your passport. For more information about Swedish citizenship please check the Swedish Migration Agency. 

Applicants under 18 years of age who has previously held a Swedish passport are required to:

  • Online booking link will be published here on Friday 12 June
  • Attend the Embassy with at least one guardian
  • Complete the application form, click to download. Please note that the child will need a Swedish ID number to be able to apply for a Swedish passport/National ID-card
  • Complete the Guardian Certificate. It has to be signed by both guardians and witnessed by two persons living in the UK. Complete the application form.
  • Check with Skatteverket that your personal information is correct. Passport and ID-card will be issued in the name that is registred in the population register. 
  • A Letter of non-acquisition of British Citizenship – for a Swedish parent who moved to the UK before 1998
  • If the child has another citizenship we need to see proof of that. The passport authority might want to see proof that the child has not become citizen in a country where the child has been living. 
  • The guardians must bring their own passport/valid photo ID. If only one guardian accompanies the child he/she needs to bring the absent guardian’s valid passport/photo ID. A Swedish parent must bring a valid passport or national ID card.
  • If the child only has one guardian we need to see legally valid  proof. (extract from Swedish population register/court order)
  • A birth certificate containing the names of both parents – if you have never lived in Sweden
  • A birth certificate with both parents’/guardians’ names – if the child was born abroad.
  • Bring the child’s previous passport. If no longer valid you need to also bring a valid photo ID Read more about valid photo ID on
  • If the passport has been lost/stolen we need a police report. The lost/stolen passport will be invalidated by the Embassy
  • The fee is £137. If you apply for your passport in Sweden and want to pick it up at the Embassy or at a Consulate you pay £17 when you collect your passport. A fee of £8 for postage is added if you want to collect from a Swedish Consulate. 
  • All documents must be in original.

Processing and collection

  • Normally two weeks
  • Bring the receipt, your previous passport, and if no longer valid you need to also bring a valid photo ID
  • A guardian can collect. Bring the child’s previous passport and own passport/photo ID. Read more about valid photo ID on
  • No need to book an appointment for passport collection. Please note that you need to come during Passport Collection hours 
Last updated 01 Jun 2020, 4.05 PM